Gunsmith Charles Schaudel turned his attention to cars in 1900, presenting an automobile featuring an engine with sump and gearbox in one casing. Integrating the gearbox with the engine was very much ahead of its time and Schaudel named the technique "motobloc". In 1902 his company was reorganized and its most notable feature became the brand name: Motobloc. Under this name quality cars were produced in Bordeaux, France, from 1902 till 1931. In 1934 aeronautics pioneer Marcel Bloch, who renamed himself into Marcel Dassault after the second world war, restarted Motobloc as an engine manufacturer, producing diesel engines and later 2-stroke engines for powering bikes and mopeds. The final end for Motobloc came in 1961.
The car shown here is one of the 3 still existing Schaudel made cars. It resided in a number of museums during its life, but is now privately owned and repainted from red to blue.