Abarth 204 A spider corsa 1950
2018 Antwerp Concours - Wijnegem (B)
After the first bankruptcy of Cisitalia at the end of the 1940s Carlo Abarth, who was Cisitalia's racing director, acquired the assets of the company and set out for himself. The first model the bear the Abarth name and famous scorpion logo was the 204 A, a continuation of the Cisitalia 204 "siluro" (a cigar shaped two-seater racing car with front wheels outside of the bodywork). Apparently a total of 6 cars were manufactured; 2 were complete cars manufactured by Cisitalia, 2 were incomplete cars manufactured by Cisitalia and finished by Abarth and the last 2 were manufactured by Abarth based on left-over Cisitalia parts. These last cars are known as second series cars, looked a bit different from the first 4 and were the first to bear the Abarth logo on the nose. The car shown here is one of those second series cars.
In 1950 Tazio Nuvolari drove a Abarth 204 A to victory in its class at the Palermo–Monte Pellegrino hillclimb, establishing a name for this new manufacturer. The car shown here however was destined for a less lustrous life as an ice-racer in Sweden.